Sunday 20 November 2011

What you can do Part 2: Can PM or MP Rudd survive the Carbon Tax election?


Following my stint in Brisbane's CBD, I was in Kevin Rudd's Brisbane electorate of Griffith doing my anti-carbon tax thing a few weeks ago, at a busy traffic intersection

Griffith is currently the only ALP seat in Queensland confidently predicted to be retained by the ALP at the next federal election so it is a great place to campaign.  I held up my favourite 'Voters will repeal carbon tax!' sign complete with a large cardboard face of its proud architect Prime Minister Gillard.

I was greeted with the usual steady stream of tooting, grinning truck, car and motorbike drivers with many calling out messages of support as they passed by. Just two people were unhappy to see me during my hour in Rudd-land.

Every single one of the nine pedestrians who crossed at the lights beside me smiled and said "I agree with you" or something similar.

A gentleman on crutches even hobbled across the road to greet me. He introduced himself as a 68 year old retired cleaner, a former member of the Miscellaneous Workers' Union and a life-long ALP voter residing in Griffith. He then said that because of the Carbon Tax he would never vote ALP as long as he lived.

Rudd's popularity versus Gillard's may well be discounted by Griffith voters. The issue for many will be that he betrayed every one of them by voting to enact the very Carbon Tax his party vowed before the last election not to introduce.

Rudd's possible elevation from Foreign Minister to Prime Minister is no guarantee of re-election for his government or for himself against a focused Tony 'Repeal Carbon Tax' Abbott.

Just ask those who voted at the 2007 federal election in former Prime Minister Howard's Sydney electorate of Bennelong!

If you are not a fan of the tax, here's something you can do. Ask people you meet "Do you think the Carbon Tax will be repealed?" If you have any doubts yourself, just stand beside a road anywhere in Australia with a REPEAL CARBON TAX sign.

Another thing, tell everyone of voting age to put The Greens last!

Tempe Harvey – Brisbane

No comments:

Post a Comment